- Hotel's goals, they'd like to increase revenue
- Revinate's goals, they also want to raise revenue for the hotel, and that can be tracked back to Revinate
First Challenge; Analyzing the Current Flow:
We wanted to compare Revinate with other similar flow companies. A customer has a request and wants to know what's happening with their request.
Medallia is very similar to Revinate. They have an e-mail marketing platform for hotels, but they have so many features. Revinate is mostly focused on a relationship between hotels and guests. It was not what we are looking for.
If you have ordered a pizza or a package from Fedex, they have a tracking system to follow your order. It's mostly related to a delivery system, and it was not what we are looking for either.
The Airbnb model was a good example of communication model, to talk with the host before to went there. However, in their case, there is one guest they need to take care of, but in hotel's perspective, they have hundreds of guests on a day, they have to take care of it.
Surveys & Interviews
The next step was understanding personas. During the user research, we interviewed budget conscious people at first. After that, we went deeper with our search.
- Defined “Upsell” for hotels & restaurants
- Importance of the salesperson; Knowledgeable/Expertise = Trust
- “I deserve this!” People want to feel special
Survey / Round 1 Interviews
- Sent it out into our GA community, friends and family
- Invalidated hypothesis on why people travel and what they value
Round 2 Interviews - High Spender
- Validate and find the delta of round 1 vs round 2 interviews
Tell me about your best experience at a hotel, why?
“Everything was taken cared of, no need to think about anything” - Dogan, age 32
“I want to see exclusive experiences just for me.” - Alex, age 28
“I deserve this vacation” - Chris, age 29
"Having the experience is more important than money" - Simon, age 40
Andrew; thinks about his vacation,
- Researches destinations/hotels
- Books it through hotel
- Hotel uses Revinate to send email
- Andrew opens email and uses Engage to view offers
- Add offer to room
- Hotel communicates that request was received
User Research Takeaways
- Users want value for what they pay for, regardless if it is a budget or high end hotel
- If a quality of service meets or exceeds guest expectations, they are more likely to go back to the hotel.
- Unique experiences/memories are more valuable than money.
- Vacation and Business travelers want things to be easy and to be taken care of by the hotel
First (Solid) Design
- Once you received the email and could see individual deals
- Next page, the deal page, had explanations, reviews and other deals you may enjoy
- When you added it to your cart, you saw a pop- up menu with two options "Continue Browsing" and "Complete Request"
- After complete Request, two more options about payment methods
- Next page was confirmation about payment page
- When you completed the checkout process, you got thank you message page
After user research, surveys and interviews, we designed a platform. After that we did a round of user testing, they were able to complete their request without confusion!
Were we successful? NO !
We were feeling something not right all the time. Why?
- This platform wasn't our goal.
- Our goal was, the users shouldn’t feel that they are using another commercial website. Why?
- Because it didn't represent a dialog of concierge and guest experience
That's why we decided to redesign the whole platform again.
After a new direction, our main action was “Prioritization” of features which helped us to narrow down our scope and focus.
We created a list of “Must”, “Should” and “Could” have features and decided only to work on must and should have features given the time and scope constraints of this project.
Our Paint Points,
- Request Status
Based on the prioritization, we started to create user flows and sketched our first version of the prototype.
Concierge concept was our idea.
Concierge is a hotel guest service keeper. They listen to guests requests, concerns or needs and they do their best. They are welcoming, and communication is important for them.
For us, the idea had to be concierge concept, conversational, natural and friendly. It shouldn't be like another e-commercial website.
Usability Testing Insights
After several user testings, we decided to turn the low fidelity paper prototype into high fidelity wireframes and then interactive prototype.
- Users were picky on content and wanted more details than what we can provide
- Users want to reference their hotel reservation information when upgrading their room
- Users were happy to see the Confirmation page
- Users do not contact the hotel before to stay unless they are planning a big event
- Engage as an onsite experience
- Responsive vs. Native mobile application
- Concierge Bot, basically you are having a conversation, and it is not like an e-commerce website